Sunday, January 26, 2014

Osama in Utah, Final Exams, and Tom's causing more trouble.

Sunday, January 26--From Tom:

Osama: Our good friend Osama flew to Utah last week. He will connect with Bobbie and Chris Coray, and has been introduced to many others. Some of you will probably meet him. His business is designing, making and selling wonderful mosaics. Because of the Syrian conflict, tourism is down to 10% of what it was. There used to be over 30 tour buses a day going through and it is down to one or two. His large shop is just a few miles east of Mount Nebo.

Osama is hoping to develop interest in his mosaics, decorated ostrich eggs, inlaid furniture, etc in Utah. These art pieces are absolutely incredible. Because of his relationship with LDS people, he has learned about the Tree of Life in Lehi's Dream. He had already been creating what was called the Madaba Tree, an ancient icon depicting a tree laden with fruit and he just added the Rod of Iron, Mist of Darkness and Great and Spacious Building. Brent and Margaret are getting the one pictured below.

It's comprised of many thousands of tiny stone pieces cut and glued in place. We watch the craftsman and it's amazing to see his precision. It seems he can choose, cut, glue and place several per minute and they never look up. It truly is an art. Madaba is an international center for Mosaic work, an ancient craft that they have kept alive for at least 2,000 years.
Osama's mosaic of the Tree of Life

We have invited Needham Jewelry in Logan to meet Osama and he will also be meeting with Deseret Book and BYU. Chris Coray tells me he will take Osama ice fishing. I hope he survives. They don't do much of that in Jordan.

Finally Finals: Yea!! Final Exams are the next two weeks and then we have two weeks off. I'm giving one tomorrow that will blow their minds. I may coach them another few days and then give it. It's sometimes so hard to have them grasp the concepts. First, they are not very good in English and second, they are young and somewhat immature. Most have never worked ( Rich families and high unemployment ) so it's hard to teach them principles of Professional Practice. But they are fun to teach and coming along. Ronna will be glad to not have Remedial English anymore. They don't know enough English for Ronna to teach them and they are absent a lot. It's driven Ronna nuts…or is it nutsier? She will just have English Communications I but four sections of it next semester.

I helped teach Ronna's Comm II class the Principals of Business Writing. For an exam I composed a business letter ( from Peter Rabbit to Mr. McGregor ) and we cut it into pieces. They had to try to piece it together again. None of them could do it but they had a lot of fun.




















Reprimands: Oh, oh..!!! There are some strange educational standards here that both Ronna and I experienced. Some parents, usually rich and influential, were learning that their children were not doing well in school. So they called the Administration, who called the Deans, who called in the Faculty. i witnessed our Dean giving our Faculty a tongue lashing. Of course it was in Arabic, but the body language was clear. Somehow we are supposed to rescue students who don't show up for class, don't turn in their assignments and generally don't care. I don't think it was handled well and I heard from both sides. I would have done things differently, but then…..

Because of the severe storm in December a week of school was cancelled. Then, of course, Ronna and I had our trip planned to Dead Sea, Aqaba and Petra and we went. With a day notice, classes were reinstated for a Saturday with all Faculty to show up. Ronna and I were bobbing in the Dead Sea. Actually, nearly all faculty didn't show up and it caused an uproar. "Off with their heads"said the President. The one faculty member in Ronna's college that did show up had no students anyway. But that didn't matter. It's the form that counts. So it was a tough week.

I actually think I've done a pretty good job reaching out to the troubled students. Malek hardly speaks any English so he's having problems. I told the Dean, who told me to "flunk him". Instead I spent special time with him and told him I cared for him and wanted him to succeed. He has gone from doing work in the 20s to nearly 90's and hasn't missed. He comes in extra time and calls me for questions. It's actually been very gratifying. See below.
Malek, my vastly improved student.








New Hampshire Study Program: I have been put in charge of arranging for my students to travel to New Hampshire this summer for a Study Abroad and Internship Program. There are a lot of details and red tape and late night phone calls to New Hampshire, but I have been building value with the Dean in arranging for this.

He now wants me to recruit new faculty, recruit new exchange programs, recruit new students from Jordan. I'm also teaching a course this Spring called the Psychology of Design. Yes, you are right. I don't know anything about that, but I'm learning quickly. I didn't know anything about what I taught this Fall Semester either and the students have all signed up again to work with me. So something is working.

Tom's Causing Trouble Again: I went to see Dr. Nasri, the Vice President over "everything". I asked him if I could review the Master Plan for the campus. He gave me a set of prints and asked me to return them.

A few days later, I went back in, having studied and made notes. He wanted my reaction and I said I would write up a response. So I did and will probably see him tomorrow. There are a lot of things that need to change. Who knows how receptive they will be.

For example, there is no bookstore, you can't find the Library or Clinic, there are no signs or directions, there are walls and walkways everywhere but many of them are dead end. There is no clear walkway arterial so it's frustrating until you get used to it (much like finding your way around Madaba or Amman). They have spent millions on elaborate gateway entry systems but have no money for projectors or quality furniture. 

I hope my ideas will be used or at least looked at. They are not accustomed to having open dialogue on issues like this, yet in the American system, these things are openly reviewed. The process of decision making, contracting and management is totally different than in the US. In Jordan they hire their cousins for whatever they need. It's a well established pattern and I'm not sure I will have any effect but I'll try. 

Who's getting this??----We would like to hear from whoever is getting this blog. We're not sure who gets it. So send us an email and let us know. Best response is tjensen@archnexus.com or just comment on this blog. Also, if you have questions or would like us to comment on something of particular interest to you, please let us know. We plan to visit Israel in March or April. We also will be visited by the Pope in May, but he's just visiting Amman to focus on the poor and refugees. I respect him for that. 

Our weather is getting up into the 60's in the daytime. Very nice. The house is still cold because of the concrete walls, but we're shivering less. I've gotten used to living with hot water bottles, 5-6 layers of clothing and carrying space heaters around with us. Soon it will be too hot again…..I can only hope. 

Love to you all!!



5 comments:

  1. I love your blog. (Just an FYI. :D ) Osama's mosaic is awesome. Is he going to make one for you guys? What does something like that cost? I would love a smaller version of that one. Not sure if it's possible?? I'm glad mom will finally be done with that Remedial class, what a nightmare. Sounds like everything else is groovy. Hopefully they won't have a public execution with your name on it (dad)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog too. Sometimes I write a lengthy reply and try to publish it, and it ends up that I am on Jaden's google account site, and it won't let me publish. These computers can be complicated at times. I am so appreciative of your posts, Tom. I really enjoy seeing the pictures and reading the accompanying script. You are a good man. It must be rewarding to see the growth in Malek. Bless his heart for trying and you for allowing him the time to do so. This whole memorization route must be endlessly frustrating to you as a teacher. My dad would be horrified! He tried so hard to get his students to think. I am happy that it is warming up over there. I had never pictured it being so cold. Thanks for your blogging efforts! I do keep track of you guys and love the details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for doing this blog. You'll love having the record of these wonderful adventures when you get back. We miss you!! We are still working through the grieving process and have learned that it is quite a journey - but not without blessings and many tender mercies. It was fun to look through some of your wonderful posts. Brady made a short trip to Israel a few weeks ago for a business conference. He thought it was pretty spectacular. (I wouldn't mind visiting that sweet resort by the dead sea.... and those mosaic are incredible!) Please know we think of you often and miss your smiling faces!!
    Take care,
    Mark and Leisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love every post and look forward to the next one each time. Missing you so much.
    Dad, stay out of trouble!!

    ReplyDelete