Sunday, June 8, 2014

Exams, Our Friends in Jordan and Baptism at Site

Sunday, June 8, 2014: From Tom

Final Exams-----Finally!!
We're giving final exams this week. I think it's harder on us than the students. We obviously have to make up the exams, prepare the students as well as possible, proctor the exams, grade them, listen to the whining, create the grading spreadsheet and post the grades. But we also have to make up a Portfolio of what happened in the class including syllabus, schedule, exams, projects, notes, and examples of their work. Then we have to do an elaborate analysis of the learning outcomes to see if the students actually  learned what we intended.
Final Exam in my Design Principles Class--Note the spacing to try to reduce cheating.

Rules in the Exam---Do you really need to tell them to use the toilet?? Yes, they have magical powers to enable cheating at any price. They can drive 5 hours without a stop, but need to use the toilet twice during a class lecture. Mostly it's to go get a "smoke".  We don't let them leave during the exam though.
I gave them a pretty tough exam, especially for students who struggle with English and are highly protected by their rich parents. On the first day I asked if any of them had worked in a design office (none), visited an office (none), visited an architectural project (none), read a book or article on architecture or design (none). I was amazed! I had done all of that when I entered college. So we're starting from zero. I pushed them to read, go to sites, analyze, measure and observe. By the end of the semester a good number were showing great promise--even brilliance.

While I'll need to fail about 4 that should never have been there in the first place, there are 6-8 that are very talented and amazing at grasping the concepts. It's fun to challenge their minds. The Jordanian system is based on rote memorization. "Give them a list and they will memorize it". I have them look at new images and try to analyze the systems and concepts. They need to start to think "out of the box" because we are always dealing with new situations.

Excuses, excuses!! It's always someone else's fault, always. It seems that the culture doesn't accept taking personal responsibility, certainly they never take blame. A sample of excuses: "my driver doesn't get me on time", "my mother needed to go to the dentist", "I lost my notes", "But I don't like to read," and the best one is "but I was absent on those days". There is a huge cultural difference between the Western kids who are raised to explore, seek challenges, and to try something and the Arab culture which protects their kids too much and even is adverse to exploring new ideas.

Yet I have found some very bright lights. One student believes that he will eclipse Steven Spielberg in movies. He's already starting to shoot his movies. In my Theories Class I had them all start a new company, at least on paper. It was tough but they had some good thinking. Many of the students said that I was the first professor that asked their opinion. The others just lectured.

Half of my crazy Design Theory Class--Jude, Mira, Razan, Abed and Noodles ( Anoud). Lots of energy


Two favorite students, Malek and Nadeen. Malek is a disc jockey and manages parties. He struggles with English but really tries. I was told to flunk him early last year when he was not doing well. I showed extra interest and let him use an Arabic-English Translator on his phone and he's doing A- work now. 

Nadeen, is always on time and does perfect work. On April Fool's Day, she called her friends to come to the class, pretend they were Security and tried to arrest me. 





 Rand, is probably my best student always getting a 98 or 99 on her exams and assignments. But she came down with a rare disease called Wilson's Disease where her body retains the copper. It could have been fatal but they caught it in time. 

Some of my fellow faculty members: 


Dr. Ali Shurman
Dr. Ali Shurman is a Musicologist, trained in Italy and Russia. He is acting Dean while Ra'ed  is presenting in Dubai. It was Ali's shoe that I tossed  a few weeks ago.


Zena


Zena, is a Graphic Artist from Dubai. She is trained and worked in San Francisco. Extremely talented.


Dr. Yasser, architect--He led the conference on Urban Minorities


Baptism at the Site:

One of our members got permission from Jordanian authorities to have their son baptized at the site of Jesus' baptism. Normally this is done on the Israel/ Palestinian West Bank side of the Jordan where there are large wide stairways leading down to the river. Many people go to be baptized and get a white gown from the local Catholic priest and essentially baptize themselves. 

The Jordan side has wooden steps under a small pavilion. Both sides are guarded and controlled by military with submachine guns since it is an international border that was at war only a few decades ago. 

Looking across the Jordan to the West Bank, where the Catholic Church provides white gowns for those wanting to be baptized, mostly baptizing themselves.
Entering the Jordan--there was a big drop off in a few feet. 





Cameron Birchenough--newly baptized


4 comments:

  1. Loved getting to know your students! The Jordan is muddier than I remember it, perhaps it is spring run off. We can hardly wait until you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. I think it would be awesome to be baptized in the same river where Jesus was baptized BUT, that water looks disgusting! Not sure if I could go through with it. Too spoiled with my nice, clean font bath water.
    Dad, your class pictures look great. Everyone looks so happy to be getting their picture taken with you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I don't know, getting baptized in caramel might be awesome! Thanks for introducing your students and faculty. Great to hear about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't think the students and faculty would be so open to letting you take pictures. Its fun to put faces with names and visualize your days there. :) Chandi

    ReplyDelete