Sunday, June 15, 2014

Outing in the Scandinavian Forest

Sunday, June 15: From Tom

Fathers and Sons Outing: So what was I supposed to do? I left all my sons, sons-in-law and grandsons back in Utah and the Fathers and Son's outing was happening. Some of the families suggested that I adopt a son and go anyway. So I did.

The last time I did serious camping I was younger than Chandi and much more resilient. My favorite camping sites now are rated 4 or 5 star. I struggle with walking up stairs now.

We drove about an hour north ( toward Syria ) to a forested area in the mountains somewhat southeast of the Sea of Galilee. It's also near where Jacob wrestled with an angel. It was donated by the King of Sweden on behalf of the Scandinavian people's friendship with Jordan


Scandinavian Forest in Jordan--looks like parts of Arizona or Utah

Looking over Jordan River Valley towards Israel


Old pioneer games--pulling sticks


Elder Ron Hammond, former General Authority,  is a Humanitarian Missionary in our branch. We rode up together. 





Makes me homesick!! Where's my grandsons when I need them?
The best part was playing Capture the Flag. Running is almost impossible anyway for me and the ground was very rocky, so they used me for a "decoy" just to let me feel that I contributed.

I could hardly walk for a week.

Most of the other men are much younger than me and work for the US Embassy

Warren Leishman--Green Beret, mountain man type--works at the US Embassy




This is my idea of an outdoor adventure--on our front portico.
Ronna's idea of an adventure--dining at the Four Seasons Resort in Amman



















2 comments:

  1. Great pics! Still weird to see you with a go-tee...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im glad you went anyway and that they've adopted you. The one boy making the face reminds of a pic I have of Briggs. for a split se I thought it was. I actually like the facial hair dad. great picture of you mom!!

    ReplyDelete